House Update: July 2017 - Rainscreen and New Tools

 

WELCOME TO THE NEW BLOG

A lot of you asked me to share and start blogging about the house renovation, so here it is - exactly one year from whence this project began. A lot has happened since last July, and I'll fill in the gaps with post-dated blogs, but for now I wanted to go ahead and start with where it's at currently. 

Rainscreen installed over Tyvek HomeWrap.

Rainscreen installed over Tyvek HomeWrap.

The shot above sums up the last 4 months of work. The house originally had a carport that was closed in by previous owners using nothing but corrugated plastic (that wavy plastic stuff you see on garden sheds). It wasn't built well, it was uninsulated, and the main support posts holding the carport up were rotted and filled with termites. The whole structure had to go.

CONCRETE, OH CONCRETE

I started by pouring this new concrete ledge to build the new wall on. Not easy, nor enjoyable. Concrete is a super messy business and I'm glad that this is the only bit I'll have to do. 

New concrete ledge alongside the Iron Rangers.

New concrete ledge alongside the Iron Rangers.

RAINSCREEN SIDING

Those strips of wood you see on the wall are what's called a rainscreen. It provides an air gap between the wall and the wood siding to facilitate even drying. "Why is that needed?" one may ask. You see, bits of water will inevitably get behind even the best-installed siding, and without somewhere for it to go, it will cause the siding to warp and buckle. When wood dries faster on one side than it does the other, wood warps. This was my go to source for learning all about them.

The furring strips I used here are 3/8" plywood with aluminum insect screen installed top and bottom. Next step is to install trim and siding. 

NEW (FES)TOOLS

Many of you woodworkers know this brand well, but the vast majority of you dear readers will have no idea what this brand is all about. It's called Festool, they're made by the ever-industrious Germans and they're as bullet-proof and precise of tools one could ask for. They're actually engineered and assembled by Germans earning a solid German wage. No China junk here. 

Anyway, this month saw the addition of two new tools. A Festool PDC drill and Festool Kapex miter saw. I'm sad to see my old DeWalt go but it went to an aspiring woodworker who lives here locally, so I feel good passing along that tool to someone who will put it to good use. 

NEXT WEEK

So for next week, the plan is to order siding, get it all primed and painted and hopefully start that installation. But the real objective for the week is to demo part of the garage that the previous owner hacked together sometime in the mid-90s. I'll do my best to sketch up the current situation. 

The original carport built in 1948 is shown in blue. The owner's add-on is shown in red. The red part is getting torn down. 

I finished the framing of a new wall (dotted line) that will soon become an outside wall finishing the enclosure of the woodshop. I used that new PDC drill to drive these 1/2" anchors down about 6 inches. Beast of a drill.

New wall ready for a door and window. All behind that wall is going to be gone and become more backyard space. 

New wall ready for a door and window. All behind that wall is going to be gone and become more backyard space. 

Anchors attaching the base of the new wall.

Anchors attaching the base of the new wall.

So that's about it. I think I'll end each post with a few shots from around the property just to give you an idea of what's going on. And I'll try and get a new post every month...mom...